Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Highlands High School Class of 1976

This is another FACEBOOK item that I am just now getting caught up. Thanks, Chad. And tomorrow is 12 of 12.

Fill this out about your SENIOR year of high school! The longer ago it was, the more fun the answers will be!! REPOST with name of high school and graduating year in the subject box. Send this to all your friends, but don't forget to send it back to me.

1. Did you date someone from your school? Yes

2. Did you marry someone from your high school? HELL NO!

3. Did you car pool to school? Yes

4. What kind of car did you have? My Grandmother's 1962 two-door Rambler.

5. What kind of car do you have now? 1989 Chevy Crew Cab, but I drive a 2005 Escape Hybrid daily.

6. It's Friday night...where were you? At a sporting event of some kind and then to Shakey's Pizza Parlor.

7. What clubs were you in? Spirit Club and on Newspaper Staff.

8. What kind of job did you have in high school? I was a lifeguard and swim instructor for the local private swim club.

9. What kind of job do you do now? Executive Assistant to the President of a multi-million dollar corporation.

11. Were you considered a flirt? To some. Bitchy to others.

12. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Have you heard me sing? Or try and keep any kind of rhythm?

13. Were you a nerd? By some.

14. Did you get suspended or expelled? Yes. Third period the entire second semester was spent in the Principal’s office. It was a matter of Freedom of Speech and a difference of opinion.

15. Can you sing the fight song? PLEASE. Did you NOT read question 12? But yes, I know most words.

16. Who was/were your favorite teacher(s)? Ms. Ebersole, who introduced me to Cary Grant and Arsenic and Old Lace. I played Abbey Brewster. Mr. Riddel, the swim coach.

17. Did you have a secret crush at this school? Yes, and it’s still a secret.

18. What was your school's full name? Highlands High School

19. When did you graduate? 1976

20. What was your school mascot? Scotsman

21. If you could go back and do it again, would you? HELL NO!

22. Did you have fun at Prom? Nope. Hated every minute of it.

23. Do you still talk to the person you went to Prom with? HELL NO.

24. Are you planning on going to your next reunion? Reunion, what reunion? My classmates couldn’t organize a reunion to save their lives. And if they ever did, I would go only if I were a fly on the wall.

25. Do you still talk to people from school? Only one. And he is the bestest friend a girl could have, besides her husband, of course.

Labels: ,

Monday, February 09, 2009

Taxes and other items

Anyone out there expecting a refund from the state of California. I have a proposition for you; wonder if the FTB will agree to this arrangement.

We have to pay, AGAIN this year, and will wait until April 15th to do so. But here's my proposition:

Who out there is expecting $110 refund? Step right up. How about I pay you directly? That way the state can mark me as paid and you as paid. And they don't have to handle the transaction.

Yea, I know. They'd manage to mess it up too. It was a random thought.

Photos of the new equine addition will be posted shortly.

Our half a road trip was very successful. It was great to finally meet Jimmie's family and we are looking forward to having them visit this summer.

Next on the agenda, to catch up on all the Facebook tags that people keep sending me.


Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Random thoughts

Here it is already the sixth of the month and I have yet to finishing uploading the 2008 review in photos. Fortunately, the 12 is on a Monday, so at least I know I will get those photos up more timely this month.

No other real news. Haven't had a lesson in weeks, between the cold, Heather going to Las Vegas because Megan was the top rider in our region, and oh, yea, the truck died. Don't know what is wrong with it, but for the first time in my driving lifetime, I was not behind the wheel when the vehicle died. I can recall at least a dozen vehicle malfunctions and ALWAYS, always, I was driving. Yea, I know that doesn't make me responsible; just feel snake bit. Glad I wasn't in route to or from the barn. So, 2009 will be getting off to a bit of slow start riding wise, but other than that it is going to be a good year. I command it to be so; therefore, it will.

The 21st Century Green Acres ranch is settling in nicely with its newest residents. Now, if I could just get Boy to not bark when Amanda gets home at 11pm each night (she's coming home from work), then all will be good for sleeping.



Monday, December 15, 2008

So, Why was 12 of 12 posted so late

The crowd was pleased that there were no commuting photos, but disappointed in the amount and their posting delay. Poo on you. You see, the well sprung a leak. And with a leaky well, comes, well, a big puddle and no water to bathe in, or provide refreshment to the critters. So, the process began.

The pipe exposed.

Kitty "stupervising" as my father called it.

The tiny leak. You can barely see it...Amazing how such a small hole can create such destruction.

However, we were close to "disaster", because when we removed the coupling, it cracked in half.

RedTail Hawk taking charge overhead.

So, the well is fixed and we have water again. And we made it to the Christmas Party at the Hupp's without delay. A good day.


Thursday, November 13, 2008

It IS a small world afterall....

No details, not today anyway. Just rambling. But something happened this week that showed me that it truly is a small world. If you find it necessary to keep part of your life private, you'd better keep it private from EVERYONE.


Wednesday, November 05, 2008

There comes a time

when being a good loser or a poor winner matter. Now is that time.

Our local water district is under the watchful eye of the State regulators for non-compliance issues that can only be solved by building new infrastructure which costs money. I am not a ratepayer in our district, but may soon be.

My fellow district residers have elected to the board, three women (I use the term extremely loosely), who do not believe that there is a compliance issue and refuse to believe the several engineers who have told the district they need to repair their 1960's and 70's equipment. They ran on the ticket that the big developers bought and paid for their opponents votes and that they will NEVER raise rates. My water district has some of the lowest water rates in California.

Receivership is just around the corner and I will be asked to assist, by paying, for the cleanup.

But I must be a good loser, accept this defeat, and figure out how we can obtain the goal of not losing the district to the state in spite of this cackle of women. What did I learn? If I really believe in a project and truly support it, I must be a louder voice for that belief. I just never realized that you really can lie, steal and cheat your way into office.


Friday, October 31, 2008


Always dangerous. Especially at this time of year: Election time.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies." Groucho Marx

"Even a good decision, if made for the wrong reasons, can be a wrong decision." Governor Swann, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble. Macbeth Act 4, scene 1, 10–11, etc.

Boss: Sorry, Luke. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that.
Luke: Nah - calling it your job don't make it right, Boss. Cool Hand Luke

And that's the way it is, 3.25 days prior to election day.


Tuesday, August 12, 2008

12 of 12 is today

and the morning is not off to a good start.

Took Luke to the training barn so he could hitch a ride with Heather to the show. On the way there, FLAT tire. Remembered the camera: Was able to take three photos before the battery said, no more. Hopefully, the rest of the day is not as eventful.

Will try to post photos tonight, but for sure, by golly, by tomorrow.

Enjoy your day. I am. Can't do nothing else but..........

Labels: ,

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Adventures in Costco Shopping

OK. I admit it. I am a bit late coming to the COSTCO party. My mother first joined the warehouse store when it was a Price Club. I dreaded going with her. The place was always huge and even if you went in for a few party supplies, you came out spending $200 without batting an eyelash. With stuff you would probably never use, but the price per ounce was too hard to pass up. Even is you threw half of it away. The lines in and out of the place reminded me of Saturday morning shopping at the McClellan AFB commissary. I have a few family members that plan their vacations around whether or not they will be able to get provisions at a Costco.

Maybe it is because there are just two of us at home and quantity shopping really has little appeal except when we are going camping or to a family function. I don't know. Maybe it is because until recently, the closest one to me was nearly 15 miles from the house in a direction I don't travel. So going there to save a few was never really justified. I just don't get the attraction.

That was until about a year ago. Our vet recommended we start giving Kitty and Angus the Kirkland brand of glucosamine for their joints. So, I have been making quarterly trips to Costco. It is beginning to grow on me. Then, our vet recommended we switch to the Kirkland dog and cat food for the three other dogs and the cats. So, this past weekend, we were nearly out of critter food, so I decide to venture out that way. Since they close at 6 on Saturdays, I get the bright idea to go Sunday morning at 10. Right after they open. What was I thinking? On a Sunday and on the second of the month!!!!!

EVERYONE within a ten mile radius had to be there. There were only about three carts remaining near the front of the store; I parked two shopping areas away. I walked in and the lines looked like they were going to take hours. This truly is a tag-team event. Should have made my spouse come too. I just want dog and cat food. Well, while I am in here, let's look at...

Yep, 90 minutes and $250 later. I was out of there. With stuff we'll use, to be assured; but don't really need. YES, I remembered the critters food, but I forgot the glucosamine. Good thing they have another couple of weeks remaining.


Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thumper's Father was Correct

He was so smart his advice: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Can be it carried over to If you can't say anything, say nothing?

Apparently, since I haven't spoken to the masses via this blog in weeks, I am taking this wise old sage's advice and not saying anything by choosing not to blog. (Unintentional; however, the result is the same).

Well, here is what I have learned these past few weeks.

  1. I am smarter than I previously believed I am. (Not sure if that makes me smarter than a fifth grader or not.)
  2. I am stronger mentally than I ever believed. (I do need to get tougher in some areas and less anal in others).
  3. I am a creature of habit and that's not always a bad thing.
And, although this list is much longer, it is boring. So, to the masses, I say: I am here. I am doing well; learning mucho stuff, most of it useful; busier, but more organized than ever (except for keeping the masses updated); and enjoying it all.


Monday, July 14, 2008

Almaden Farms Summer Show 2008

I scanned these two photos incorrectly, so follow the links and you will see how the weekend went. The tale of two horses. The tale of two minds. Our next assignment, and WE HAVE DECIDED TO ACCEPT IT, will be to get our minds as one and that means gettiing my mind in the correct state. Details will follow.



Labels: ,

Friday, July 11, 2008


Well, the vacation was wonderful and photos and accounts shall appear in the next few days.

12 of 12 is tomorrow and I will be in Watsonville at a horse show. Will try and not bore the crowd with too many equines, but it will be change of pace from previous photos shoots.

Speaking of changes, and we were weren't we? I am embarking on a new and exciting direction and looking forward to the adventure. Will keep everyone updated, but many descriptions will be cryptic. Let's just say that this past week contained some of the most exhilarating information and encounters I have faced in a long, long time.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Yea! It is Great to be Back in the Saddle

Oh Yea!!!!!!!

Luke and I went to our first jumping horse show in 27 months yesterday. (I was way too excited and exhausted to write this yesterday). Oh, and I totally forgot the camera. Sorry.

Our day started out well. We got to the barn to meet Heather at 5:30 am. I gave Luke a quick bath and loaded our gear into her trailer. She didn’t get home from the show the night before until 12:30am so it was a short night for her. She also had Seth with her. They got there about 6:30 and we left at 6:45. Since I-5 southbound is closed until tomorrow, we went surface streets. Made, relatively speaking, good time and entered the show grounds at 7:45. I was on my noble steed at about 8:15. We headed for the warm-up arena.

Now, the rest of this ramble is FULL of Firsts. First time I did this or that on my own. LOTS of major mental accomplishments, which is so stokingly cool. (Is stokingly a word? Yea, it is now). The first FIRST is that Luke has shown at Brookside for years. I never have. I have always gone to watch him and Heather.

The second FIRST: All the shows I have gone to, in all the years I have gone to shows, I have never gotten on my horse (any of my horses) until I got to the warm up arena. Show grounds scare the buggers out of me. Last year, at the Let’s Show Halloween Show, I got on in the warm-up but managed to ride back to the barn. That was a huge milestone. But I digress. Heather, Dana, Amber, Sara (thanks, guys) or someone else has always been on him first. They have warmed him up a bit. (Warm-up arenas are even scarier than the show grounds themselves).

So I, mounted on Luke, head to the warm-up arena. I enter the arena and Heather heads to the show office to get my number. I walk around. BREATHE. BREATHE. BREATHE. I trot around the arena. The eight and under walk/trot class has begun. I can hear the announcer. I pretend I am in the class. I BREATHE. Check the diagonals. I stretch. Heather returns. We are ready.

Our first class is called. Walk/Trot Pleasure-Open. This class is judged mainly on the horse and “what a pleasure” he is to ride. I am now competing against the previously mentioned eight-year olds and some older youngsters. There are big tents along each side of the arenas for shade for the spectators. There are scary chairs and noises. We enter the ring and because the class has not been called to order I trot in and trot along the long side. I BREATHE. The class is called to order. We walk. We trot. I GET MY DIAGONAL. We are moving beautifully and guess what. Yep! I am BREATHING. Nice loose rein. Ah, this is fun. We are asked to walk. Reverse. Trot. AGAIN, the diagonal is nailed. And as I relax and adjust my leg just slightly, Luke decides, oh let’s canter a few steps. It was only about two and half steps. BUT it was directly in front of the judge. I regain my composure, but not my diagonal and then the announcer commands us to halt. In a Walk/Trot class, when they didn’t have you halt going to the left and then they ask you going right, it usually means someone has been involuntarily dismounted. I am at the far end of the arena near the timorous timbers rustling in the slight breeze on an already hot day. I hear Heather say, “Sit back. Breathe. Here comes a pony.” I hear others saying “whoa” to the pony. Ponies in and of themselves are not frightening, but Luke LOVES ponies and if one is running and playing, he wants to play to. So I turn my head and look for the pony and I begin to say ‘whoa’ too. Luke turns his head and knickers at the pony and the pony finally halts and is apprehended. AND I STAYED ON. The class continues. We line-up in the center. We place fifth out of six; the sixth being the rider of the pony who fell. Hey, you just can’t canter in a walk/trot class, in front of the judge and expect to place well, now can you?

I have Heather get our ribbon as we are in the next class Walk/Trot Equitation. This class is judged on the correctness of the rider and her position on the horse. There are two in the class. Luke is still feeling pretty frisky. So we go around. I miss my diagonal while tracking left, so what else is new? Then, the judge asks for the sitting trot. BREATHE. Go slow Luke. What a good boy. Keep your legs still so he won’t canter. Hands quiet. Good. Nice head. Yea. This is fun. As I near the far end of the arena, where those formidable firs are, a guy a flat bed truck with an empty trailer comes bounding down the road. BUMP, RATTLE. Yes, it unnerved me. I have Luke walk even though we haven’t been asked. A major faux pas, but I don’t care. I am breathing and moving forward. We go back to the trot and then we are asked to walk and line up. Yes, we received a second. We exit the arena on a loose rein. (another first)

There are four additional flat (non-jumping) classes before our two jumping classes. We hang and wait. We are jumping in the Kindergarten Hunters. Trotting is allowed. Normally, in the Hunter Divisions the entire course is cantered. The fences are very elaborate with pretty flowers on each set. There is a red set; a blue set; a gold/yellow set and a purple set. My goal is to trot into each line, canter out and then prior to turning to the next group, resume the trot and repeat. There are seven fences. One single and then six sets of two, also known as a line.

In the first class, the first fence is a single near the judge’s stand moving away from the entrance. Then a left turn to the outside line in five strides, a left turn up the diagonal in four strides and a right turn to the judge’s outside line. A circle and we are done. We were nearly perfect. I remembered to breathe, exhale over the jumps and I even cantered the last four fences. We exit the arena on a loose rein.

The second class is very similar to the first, but somewhat in reverse. The first fence is a single moving away from the entrance, then turn right and go down to the judge’s outside line in five strides, turn right again go up the diagonal line in four and turn left and finish the far side outside line in five strides. I wasn’t as perfect in this round and broke to the trot in the middle of the line. BUT, I remain composed, BREATHED, and resumed cantering the last two fences. I also forgot to complete my ending circle.

We placed second in the first class and fourth in the second class. There were eleven participants in each class.

And, that was our day. Luke is so pleased that I am finally getting the hang of this jumping stuff. Yea! It was a blast. Can’t wait to do it again. Neither can he.

Thanks, Heather.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Meet Dr. Jones

This is Indiana Jones, Jr. alias Indie or Dr. Jones. Yes, he is named after the Harrison Ford character who was named after Lucas' dog.

He has been with us since November after having spent the first eight years with my brother-in-law and his family. Indie loves chasing rabbits and pheasants and assisting with making sure the horses are eating out of their appropriate pens.
He misses his former "boys" but is settling in very nicely into life on the Green Acres Estate.


Saturday, April 26, 2008

I am here! I am


Technical difficulties and gremlins have been plaguing me. Hopefully, they will be fixed soon.

The crowd shouts, "Are you there?"


Sunday, April 13, 2008


The crowd was ecstatic when I announced there would be no commuting photos for this month's expose for 12 of 12.

Little did they know that technical difficulties would prevent them from seeing any photos. Having difficulty with the dial-up, so photo posting will have to wait until the 'morrow, when I can hit the Internet cafe down the street from work.

Now, it off to finish using the weed-wacker to knock down the fire hazards.

Labels: ,

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Madness is Over

for this year.

Congrats, JayHawks. A well deserved comeback. Could not have asked for a better game, 'cept maybe having the Tigers win. (and yes, I will be contacting the Memphis coach to see if he will accept my offer not to root for his team next year when it really matters. ;))

Thanks for the memories.

Labels: ,

Friday, April 04, 2008

April Fool's Day Joke

I thought I had made it through the day without incident until my co-worker brought this photo into me about a cat she "found". It took me a minute to realize that she doesn't live anywhere near a "Sunset Blvd." THEN, I got the photo.
Very good one. Wish I had thought of it.


Saturday, March 29, 2008

Great two days with Luke

Well, I had the best two days on Luke that I have had in a long time. We went to Heather's yesterday and no issues (me not him). No racing heartbeats, no rapid pulse. Just got on, walked around. Trotted. Cantered. Worked through the trot pole grid, like I had been doing it all my life. (for those of you who don't know, I have a major, poles on the ground, issue. A pole 3 feet in the air, not a problem. Pole flat on the ground. VERY scary).

I know. I am mental. What you find easy, I find very hard. What you find hard, I can't understand why you don't get it. Anyway......

We moved as a tandem around the upper arena and even ventured to the lower arena for the first time. No panic. Wow. It was wonderful.

Went today. There were more people there today. (It is Saturday. Most everyone shows up for the Saturday lessons.) I went through the trot grid beautifully. We added a small jump to the end of the grid. Poor Luke. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to jump it or trot it. So, the first two times, he trotted. The third time through, I squeezed my legs a bit harder and he jumped it. WAY COOL feeling. I love it. As the grid poles are raised, the two interior obstacles become a bounce. I am not quite ready for a bounce in that my back can't take the shock yet, so we sat the higher grid out. But while my fellow riders were being tortured, Luke and I cantered around the lower arena and he was not the least bit "antsy" about leaving the herd. (That is his major issue).

IT WAS A WONDERFUL TWO DAYS. Jumpers, here we come!!!!!

Labels: ,

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Don't faint. . . .

because it isn't really as clean as the photo portrays it. (The files and papers are in a storage box to be filtered through this weekend, when I finish the taxes).

We are interviewing a potential housesitter this evening and I didn't want to scare her off with my filing method. The plant on the table is from an arrangement my coworkers gave me five years ago.

Have a great weekend. I plan to. Have a lesson on Luke both Friday and Saturday; car racing in Marysville and taxes. Ah, life on the 21st century version of Green Acres ranch.


Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Commuting Pet Peeve

Well, apparently I have more than I thought I did. Or, maybe, just maybe, now that I think about them, I notice them. Who knows? Not even the Shadow, but I digress.


This is not a new phenomenon; at least for the section of Interstate 80 through the lovely college town of Davis, CA. I can remember travelling from our home in Sacramento to San Francisco to visit relatives and EVERY time we would get over the causeway, just entering the Davis community, my father would begin his mumblin' curses under his breath. AND he wasn't even driving. "Don't these people in this @#%%$ town know how to merge? Wonder where they learned to drive. Must have gotten their drivers' license from a Cracker Jack sticker." and so forth. These events occurred over 40 years ago.

Spring forward to today. I am driving The Red January (related to the submarine Red October), the 1983 Toyota PU with 321,000 miles. The Hybrid is in the shop for its 100,000 mile check-up. I am cruising at 60 in the slow lane. The lanes next to me are cruising at 65 and 70. I approach an interchange. Three cars gearing up for the merge. AT LESS THAN 40 MPH. I remain steady, trying to move to the left. No room. I continue, but slow a bit. All three cars enter the freeway at 40mph. AND STAY THERE. It took them nearly a mile to get up to speed. Now, for all of you thinking maybe its an old ramp with little room to get up to speed; kibosh that idea. There was plenty of room to let me continue, but no they had to move right over in front of me. I finally am able to move over and continue on my way. Another 1/2 mile down the road and I return to the slow lane. And proceed at 60 mph. Another 1/2 mile down the road, one of my three "friends" run right up on my bumper and flash their lights signaling for me to move over a lane. THERE IS NO LANE TO MOVE TO!!!!!!!!!!! I am as far to the right as possible. What if I was in the Monster Truck towing Luke and only going 55mph.

UgH. I am beginning to think we need to put the radio back in Toyota.

Labels: ,

Friday, March 21, 2008

Another Commuting Pet Peeves

Friday afternoon traffic. Everyone swishing to get to where they think they need to be. The traffic flow is exceeding the speed limit by at least 10 mph.

Then, up ahead. bam. Red tail lights. Boom. Boom. Boom. Everyone slows to 40. 30.20 Why?

A Highway Patrol Officer (or other law enforcement person) is sitting on the side of the road. Alone. In his (or her) car. Not moving. Maybe finishing a ticket or writing one for the car that is a bit farther up, but WHY do people go from Speed Racer to the Slowski's in less than ten yards?

I am not talking about those drivers in the slow lane who are slowing down to give the Officer room and are being conscientious about people being on the freeway. I am talking about the people who just passed me like I was a billboard on the side of the road (standing still) and now they are slamming on the brakes.

I think if my friends at the Highway Patrol wanted to slow CA drivers down, all they have to do is put an Officer on the side of the road every mile or so. Would probably save the department fuel costs.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Commuting Pet Peeves

I don't have many. But one I do have involves those wonderful signs on the side of the freeways. And it isn't actually the signs, or even the information disseminated from them. I understand the need for them; and how they help save lives. No, my issue is with


I am driving home this evening, Eastbound on Interstate 80. Traffic is a bit heavy for it being a vacation week, but everyone is moving the speed limit from Vacaville to Dixon. Suddenly, traffic slows to 30 mph. No apparent reason. Then it occurs to me. There was an AMBER ALERT earlier today. I will bet the sign is on with a message. Sure enough. As soon as cars pass the sign, traffic moves back at the speed of light (or at least the speed limit).

On I go. Not thinking about my recent frustration with people who can't read at 65mph, I continue on Interstate 80 Eastbound. (I have an alternate route that I can take when traffic is heavy). We move swiftly through Davis and head for the causeway. STOP. Ugh. Was there an accident? What?!

15mph for three miles. The obstruction? You guessed it. Another sign. WITH THE SAME INFORMATION. What? Didn't YOU people just read this information not more than 10 minutes ago? And yes, as soon as a car passes the sign, it is 70 mph.

No wonder cars don't get good gas mileage. Going from 65 to 15 and back to 70 can't be good for consistency purposes.


Labels: ,

Monday, March 17, 2008

Flossing is hazardous to your teeth

No joke. I don't care what "they" say.

I was flossing my teeth this morning. Yea, I know novel concept. (Talk to my dentist, he is FOREVER, after me to floss even more. It's just to drum up business).

I use the "wimpy" wax-coated, mint flavored tape. A move from one gap to the other. OOPS! the floss shredded. What the ???? I move it back up and try and come down. Stuck. I just pull the floss out by the end. Well, part of an old filling came with it. BUGGER.

So, I am off to the dentist. Third time this year I have graced his office with my presence. I am becoming a fixture.

Basketball picks tonight.


Friday, March 07, 2008

plethora of thoughts

Happy Birthday, Jeremy. Where ever you may be.

Do you mute the radio in the car when you receive a text message on your cell phone? I do. It's not like I can't hear the message. Guess I can't do three things at once. Oh, wait. I do more than three things at home and work all the time. However, I still can't walk and chew gum.

Why are people, who are supposed to be smart, sometimes so dumb? Case in point. You have been advised not to speak to or about someone or something by the authorities. And you continually do so. Don't even realize that you are. Or, you can't make the connection from one case or incident to another.

Ever wanted to be somewhere you are not, only to find that once you got to somewhere, you truly wanted to be where you were, not where you are?

Ever lost touch with a family member or friend, only to have them call you out nowhere? And you can't decide if it is a good thing or a bad thing they "found" you? Although it is not like I was lost. Had the same job for nearly 16 years and lived in the same place for going on 19 years. Had the same home phone number for those same 19 years. (Yea, Yea, I know it is busy in the evening; thank country life and dial up, baby!!!)

Ok, so it isn't truly a plethora. But they are thoughts.


Friday, February 29, 2008

Two (or more) Ways to Get Results

Have you ever been in a discussion with someone and suddenly realized that you have reached the same conclusion, but you got there via different routes? BUT since you both have an extreme investment in your respective routes neither of you can see the result is the same? More screaming and frustration than action is the ultimate result.

So, if you know someone is going to take a certain route and needs that route to see the end, do you adapt and take that route or do you take your own route and hope you both get there at the same time?

Guess this comes under the adage "there is more than one way to skin the cat".


Saturday, February 09, 2008

And Then There Were None

All the roses are pruned. Now, to the Mulberry trees, that are supposed to be fruitless; the apple tree and a couple of other trees.

Whewwww. This is the latest it has been to get them pruned since 1995.

It is a beautiful day. Windows open. Sun peaking through some huge white fluffy clouds. Great day for skiing, if I still did that.



Tuesday, February 05, 2008

No more Jello before bedtime

We have a some friends who live not too far from us with whom we enjoy doing a variety of activities.

So, I had a dream last night that we were at the one friend's house and Brandt and her nephew were fishing in her pond. (She doesn't have one, although she lives very close to a lake). Her niece and I were swmming in same said (non-existent) pond. The niece was attacked by a shark, so she and I quickly got out of the water. She was fine, no scratches or marks, but the nephew caught the shark on his next cast. It took him what seemed like forever to bring the creature in.

Brandt and our friend made the nephew put the shark back in the lake. They were both very insistent. The niece and I were standing on the shore wondering why. I screamed something like "Sharks can't live in fresh water, so you are going to kill it and besides it attacked us."

Of course, the alarm went off.

I am not allowed to eat jello before going to bed, anymore.


Monday, February 04, 2008

Life is NOT fair

but isn't it supposed to be equitable?

I am not looking for everyone to be treated the same, like clones, but there comes a time when trade-offs do not out weigh their opportunity costs.

Life is not supposed to be fair, but damn it, all other things being equal, it should be.

Yea, I mixed my metaphors and clichés, but I am irritated.

That is all. On that. For now.


Saturday, February 02, 2008

I finally caught it

My office mates have been "sharing" a cold since late November. Some have had it twice or three times. I am the only one who hadn't caught it.

I was careful. Washed my hands, yada, yada, yada. Well, Thursday morning I woke up with a slightly scratchy throat. By Thursday night, I thought I was going to "die" from lack of being able to breathe. Spent most of yesterday downing hot beverages and meds. Felt pretty good today... but took it easy. CUZ,

There is a Super Bowl Party to attend. Routing for the Giants, but think dynasty and the fates are on the Patriots side.


Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ten left

Well, the rain stayed at bay for part of the day, but I only got another 5 roses done. I did fill two green waste barrels for the county to pick up next week. Reuben helped mucho.

Ten remain. Little buggers have already started to put out new shoots. Don't they know it is winter.

Speaking of winter, it has rained here for eight straight days. I like the rain, please don't misunderstand me. I am beginning to hate the MUD that is a result of so much rain. Don't know our actual totals, but my rain gauge has another 3 inches in it since a week ago Saturday. That means 8 or so inches since January 1st.

Are you tired of it too?


Friday, January 18, 2008

Being at the forefront of Being Green isn't easy

I drive a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. It is a company car, but our company is ahead of the curve when it comes to environmental responsibility. I have been driving it since September 2004. On average, I drive 110 miles per day. Last week, I took the car in for its 95000 mile check up.

I love this vehicle. I drive way too much on the freeway to get the full benefit of the electric motor, but I was averaging nearly 31 miles per gallon. That is, until about 10000 miles ago. My mpg dropped to 28. No explanation could be found at the last two checkups. Don't get me wrong, that mileage is still WELL above the regular Escape. But when you are used to driving380-400 miles per tank and now, you are only getting 320-350, it does get a bit tiresome.

Most everyone knows that when you buy the FIRST of any model, service and glitches become synonymous. The Ford technicians in the greater Sacramento area have gone to school on my car. They have to check the Ford tech website to know what to look for each time I bring it in for service. And, that my friends, happens every 5000 miles.

At about 22000 miles, it took three weeks to get the headlights fixed correctly. I went through eight bulbs, all that had to be special ordered because they are "different" on the Hybrid than on the regular Escape. They weren't supposed to die for 150000 miles. Turned out it was a simple wiring problem. It ended up becoming a service order bulletin thing for ALL Escapes. Truly, other than that experience, it has been a reliable and trustworthy vehicle. Until yesterday.

As I approached the left turn onto my road, the car died. I don't mean got a bit doggy and rolled to a stop, no I mean the entire car shut off. Half way through the turn. DEAD. The dads were with me then, because the on-coming cars did stop. I pushed it out of the intersection and down the little hill and pulled over. The gas engine was still working, but the electric components were dead. The error message just kept saying, please safely stop car NOW. It reminded me of the robot in Lost in Space, Danger, Danger, please safely stop NOW. I pull out the owners book and look for the little symbol that is flashing at me. (Amazing how it shut down electrically, but all the electric signs and symbols were flashing at me.)

The book says that it is a SEVERE ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION. Car may stop working. Turn it off, and turn it back on. If it starts drive to a safe location and stop. Drive no more than 5 miles. (I was only a mile from home). I drove home. I called my service rep. He said, tow it in. (I live about 40 miles from the dealer). Thank goodness, the vehicle only has 95000 miles on it. Towing is covered up to 100000.

So, I call this morning, have it towed, and get to the dealership. Turns out that I also get a rental car. They tell me it will be Tuesday. No problem. I have the rental. I come home. About 4:30 this afternoon, I get a call. Good news and Bad news.

The part that broke could have, but didn't, fry the hybrid electrical entire system. However, the part has to come from Detroit and it will take no less than 10 days. First time this part has broken. They don't stock them, and neither does Detroit. Guess they are going to be working overtime?

I wonder if I should petition Ford to have them pay me to drive their car, after all they are learning a bunch from my current one. I sure hope if anything else breaks, it does so in the next 4500 miles.

I am just grateful that I was going 30 mph, not 70 and glad I wasn't on the freeway.